Ingredient courses: The Hop
14/09/2017 @ 9:15 am - 01/09/2027 @ 4:00 pm
Tutor: Jonny Mills
Head Brewer: Noel James
Tuesday 24th October, 2017
Course time: 9:15am – 4:00pm
Course cost: £115 (inc VAT)
Book a place
These one day ‘ingredient’ courses look in detail at each of the four key ingredients in beer. Each course gives an in depth look at how each ingredient is produced before arriving at the brewery, how to analyse and select the best ingredients for brewing specific beer styles and how best to use them in the brew-house to produce desired characteristics and flavour.
Hops bring many things to beer, from their preservative qualities, to flavour and clarification. This course looks at everything from hop breeding and farming, hop flavour and varieties, to hop chemistry in the brew-house and practical use in modern hop forward beers.
- Hop Anatomy
- Hops on the Farm
- Global Varieties
- Hop Analysis and Selection
- Hop Chemistry and Bitterness Calculations
- Practical Hopping Techniques and Methods
- Hop Saturation – How Much is Too Much?
This course includes:
- Morning Coffee/Tea & Pastries
- Lunch – this will be provided by one of Bristol finest lunchtime eateries, these include Pieminister, Pinkmans and Harts Bakery. Vegetarian options available.
- An end of day beer in New Bristol’s tap bar with the Head brewer and team.
NB: Please remember this is a working brewery so wear practical clothes and shoes.