Ingredient courses: The Yeast
05/09/2017 @ 9:15 am - 01/09/2027 @ 4:00 pm
Tutor: Jonny Mills
Head Brewer: Noel James
To be announced.
Course time: 9:15am – 4:00pm
Course cost: £115 (inc VAT)
Bookings opening soon
These one day ‘ingredient’ courses look in detail at each of the four key ingredients in beer. Each course gives an in depth look at how each ingredient is produced before arriving at the brewery, how to analyse and select the best ingredients for brewing specific beer styles and how best to use them in the brew-house to produce desired characteristics and flavour.
Ever tasted unfermented wort? Despite containing all the ingredients of the finished beer, it’s a far cry from the finished product in terms of flavour. Fermentation is the opportunity to make or break a beer. Properly controlled; fantastic beer can be produced from the most simple of recipes, poorly handled and a myriad of off-flavours awaits you. This one day course looks in detail at brewers yeast and the critical control of fermentation.
- Yeast Strains and Their Origins
- Yeast Health and Analysis
- Primary Fermentation
- Secondary Fermentation and Beer Maturation
- Fermentation Control in the Brew-House
- Yeast Storage
- Yeast Flavour and Strain Selection
- Off-Flavour Troubleshooting
This course includes:
- Morning Coffee/Tea & Pastries
- Lunch – this will be provided by one of Bristol finest lunchtime eateries, these include Pieminister, Pinkmans and Harts Bakery. Vegetarian options available.
- An end of day beer in New Bristol’s tap bar with the Head brewer and team.
NB: Please remember this is a working brewery so wear practical clothes and shoes.