Off Flavours Course
01/08/2017 @ 9:15 am - 01/08/2027 @ 4:00 pm£100
Tutor: Jonny Mills
Head Brewer: Noel James
Thursday 27th September, 2018
Tuesday 12th February, 2019
Course time: 9:15am – 4:00pm
Course cost: £120 (inc VAT)
Book a place
The first in the UK, the aim of this course is to train candidates to detect off flavours and beer faults, then equip them with the knowledge to identify the root causes. This one day course is centered around the delights of an off flavour tasting and accompanied by a troubleshooting guide to eliminating off flavours from your beer. Aimed at professionals and home-brewers alike, this is a catch all course in better beer flavour.
During the morning, before lunch and coffee impacts upon human sensory capability, candidates will be taken through an off flavour tasting. This involves spiking low flavoured lagers with the most common, and a good many not so common, off flavour compounds. Some of the most common include:
- Diacetyl – butter popcorn
- Acetaldehyde – synthetic green apple
- Phenols – clove, smoke, TCP
- Dimethyl sulphide – canned sweetcorn, vegetal
- Hydrogen sulphide – rotten egg
- Lactic acid – sour, cider
- Acetic acid – vinegar
- Ethyl acetate – nail polish remover
- Trans-2-nonenal and linear aldehydes – paper, wet cardboard
In the afternoon we will expand on the causes of these flavours and look at how to prevent their reoccurrence. As a reward for suffering through the off flavours, to finish there will be a tasting of selected excellent fresh beer. The aim is to highlight positive/fresh flavours in beer and discuss how to ensure they stay in the beer over its shelf life.
This course includes:
- Morning Coffee/Tea & Pastries
- Lunch – this will be provided by one of Bristol finest lunchtime eateries, these include Pieminister, Pinkmans and Harts Bakery. Vegetarian options available.
- An end of day beer in New Bristol’s tap bar with the Head brewer and team.
NB: Please remember this is a working brewery so wear practical clothes and shoes.